Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pleather sleeved Jacket

I muslined Mccalls 5759  last winter (March) and it sat around until this summer before I got it in fashion fabric.  Then it sat again.  Finally it can come off the dressform and into the closet.


I used a heavy wool, almost like a felt, that I bought from Frank for $15.  I also purchased a meter of a fake fur/leather from C&M textiles when we were in Montreal last ($20).  It is lined in a lime green bemberg ($8) I extended the band around the jacket to make it more substantial.  I used snaps ($5)  rather then buttons to let the band be unimpeded.  I left out the pockets altogether.  They were faux anyways. As others have pointed out, this is not a style of jacket that can be worn open because of the dramatic collar and the over lapping fronts.

I didn't love working with the faux material but it wasn't as onerous as I thought they might be.  The jacket is surprisingly warm with the wool. I should have used kashi lining for the sleeves and that would have upped the cosiness factor.

Total Cost: $48

2 comments:

Linda said...

This is a gorgeous jacket! The band really sets this off and using snaps was a great idea.

MrsSmith said...

AMAZING! This is gorgeous and so well done!